since our big lifestyle change in july we have changed the way we handle our meals. before july, i would cook (not so healthy) dinners 5 or 6 days a week. we would go out once a week for dinner and just grab leftovers, fast food, or whatever junk we had around the house for lunch. these days…i cook healthy meals 3 to 4 nights a week. i also do a clean meal prep once or twice a week that we can eat for lunches, my husband can take to work, or that i can reheat on a busy evening. this was one of my meal prep days.
then i made a mexican bowl. i started with a pound of lean ground turkey.
- 1 lb of lean ground turkey
- packet of taco seasoning (or you can make your own)
- cooked brown rice (i made what the package suggested for 4 servings)
- 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- i cooked the turkey through before adding the taco seasoning. then i simply gathered 4 containers and layered 1/2 cup black beans, 2/3 cup of the prepared brown rice, and 1/4th of the ground turkey (approximately 4 ounces). i did have some left over this day and put together a small fifth container.
when serving i use lots of fresh salsa (my mom’s is the best!). you can also add reduced fat shredded cheddar, fat-free sour cream or plain greek yogurt, avocado, cilantro, jalapenos, etc. whatever mexican toppings your heart desires!