A few years ago we fell in love with a delicious sweet potato and sausage recipe from Epicurious. The smoked meat, wilted spinach, and potatoes made for a delicious and hearty meal
Since cleaning up our diets I wanted to try to create a different version and came up with a skinny slow cooker sweet potato and sausage soup.
- - 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼-inch thick pieces
- - 2 tbs olive oil
- - Turkey Kielbasa cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- - 2 medium onions, chopped
- - 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- - 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- - 1 9oz bag of fresh spinach
- Heat 2 tbs olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, and Kielbasa. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and Kielbasa has browned.
- Place onion, garlic, Kielbasa, sweet potatoes, and chicken broth in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- * Once sweet potatoes are cooked through you can take a potato masher to mash some to create a thicker base.
- Just before serving add spinach to slow cooker. Allow it to wilt and serve.